Wiki Posts
Search

BA Amex Premium (UK) Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2024, 5:59 am
Original Poster

BA Amex Premium (UK) Downgrade

Hi,

I have had the card for just under 12 months. Collected 156k points in that time, but change of job and the increased fees and limited to get a companion ticket makes this a pointless card for me now.

Couple of questions,
  • can I downgrade to the basic card?
  • if so, can I still use the basic card to pay for club world reward flight with companion ticket?

Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by BusinessTraveller86
Hi,

I have had the card for just under 12 months. Collected 156k points in that time, but change of job and the increased fees and limited to get a companion ticket makes this a pointless card for me now.

Couple of questions,
  • can I downgrade to the basic card?
  • if so, can I still use the basic card to pay for club world reward flight with companion ticket?

Thanks
in theory it is possible but it is not a guaranteed option. You need to call in and ask for a downgrade. I believe the vast majority of cases they will say yes, but they could also say that the only option is to close the account.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:11 am

Downgrade link: https://www.americanexpress.com/en-g...rds/ba-classic
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:00 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
limited to get a companion ticket
No, the reward can be used to halve the avios for a solo trip now not just for a couple travelling. It's much more useful.
can I downgrade to the basic card?
if so, can I still use the basic card to pay for club world reward flight with companion ticket?
Yes and Yes. But wait until the voucher is in your BAEC account. Once there it won't disappear until it expires or is used.
Most people believe you can use *any* Amex card to book the reward, not just the BA Amex (Black or Blue). But the phone agents often get it wrong.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
No, the reward can be used to halve the avios for a solo trip now not just for a couple travelling. It's much more useful.

Yes and Yes. But wait until the voucher is in your BAEC account. Once there it won't disappear until it expires or is used.
Most people believe you can use *any* Amex card to book the reward, not just the BA Amex (Black or Blue). But the phone agents often get it wrong.
I have booked multiple times with different Amex cards (Platinum, standard rewards card etc.) with no issue, even after cancelling the BA Amex.

The phone agents have no way of identifying whether the Amex is a BA Amex or any other Amex card, so you can use whichever.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:05 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
The phone agents have no way of identifying whether the Amex is a BA Amex or any other Amex card, so you can use whichever.
Sorry I was referring to the Amex agents who tell you that you can't do this if you ring up to downgrade instead of using the link, not the BA agents you might get if you ring up to do a booking.
I think BA could tell which type of Amex card it is in the computer if they cared, but they don't.
There is a six digit IIN at the beginning of the card number. The first two digits identify it as an Amex card, the other 4 identify the sub-type and country.
(The whole number also includes a Luhn algorithm checksum at the end which stops single digit errors being accidentally typed in)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_card_number.
Try typing the first six digits of your credit card number in here...
https://bincheck.io/
BA or bust likes this.

Last edited by DeathSlam; Apr 25, 2024 at 9:14 am
Old Yesterday, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
I have booked multiple times with different Amex cards (Platinum, standard rewards card etc.) with no issue, even after cancelling the BA Amex.

you can self book a reward ticket using the Amex voucher online without speaking to anyone as well as phoning in, but worth saying that although this is not done currently, they could easily identify if an Amex card is one of the BA ones via the BIN number (first 6 digits). Many payments systems use this to limit which card types they accept and or process. My own card, which kept the same BIN through over 20 years of upgrade and downgrades, still used to be identified as a BA premium even when I had temporarily downgraded to BLUE.

EG. Some of the earlier BA Amex BINs were:

BAPP Amex 374614
BA Amex 379108

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.