WN Suspending Service from SYR/BLI/CZM/IAH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2024, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
WN Suspending Service from SYR/BLI/CZM/IAH

Just got this in an email this morning.

Dear Southwest® Customer,

We’ve made a tough decision to suspend Southwest service at four airports in our network as peak Summer 2024 travel ends in early August. We are no longer accepting reservations beyond August 4, 2024, for travel in or out of Bellingham, Washington (BLI), Cozumel, Mexico (CZM), Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), and Syracuse, New York (SYR). We’re reaching out to provide you with options and our heartfelt regret.

They have only been in Syracuse a short time. Looks like it's back to driving to BUF/ROC and ALB for me.

This was also in the email:

To show our appreciation for your loyalty, we are sending you 8 Southwest LUV Voucher(s)® worth $100 each. These can be used toward your next Southwest flight. This includes your impacted travel and all individuals on your booking(s). Please allow up to 10 days for the voucher(s) to arrive in a separate email with instructions for use.
jjbiv likes this.

Last edited by birdiedouble; Apr 25, 2024 at 6:11 am
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:50 am

Programs: A3 Silver, Best Western Diamond, Booking.com Genius Level 3, WN A-List + Companion Pass
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
To show our appreciation for your loyalty, we are sending you 8 Southwest LUV Voucher(s)® worth $100 each. These can be used toward your next Southwest flight. This includes your impacted travel and all individuals on your booking(s). Please allow up to 10 days for the voucher(s) to arrive in a separate email with instructions for use.
That's interesting because, in the email that Southwest sent to business customers, they said this, "We are contacting all affected travelers with an updated itinerary, an opportunity to change or cancel that new itinerary, and one Southwest LUV Voucher per Passenger to show our appreciation." (emphasis mine)
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts a link!

WN exiting 4 markets.

CZM, SYR, BLI, and IAH.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:05 am

What cities will they pull out of next? I want to make some speculative bookings!
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:37 am

My flights in/out of BLI were auto rebooked to SEA, with free changes.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tmobiley
That's interesting because, in the email that Southwest sent to business customers, they said this, "We are contacting all affected travelers with an updated itinerary, an opportunity to change or cancel that new itinerary, and one Southwest LUV Voucher per Passenger to show our appreciation." (emphasis mine)
I’ve got 6 affected flights, two which have my wife as companion.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
My flights in/out of BLI were auto rebooked to SEA, with free changes.
New flights to DEN begin/end quickly.
jmw and dlaue like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Big cuts to ATL and O'Hare (with no details)

The press release also notes significant capacity reductions at O'Hare and Atlanta. For Atlanta (my home airport), will be interesting to see how many flights get cut, whether any non-stop destinations are cut, and whether they give up any gates on their side of the C Terminal.

https://swamedia.com/releases/release-f9b0d09b13627fa65cf1f5e65d0c91db-southwest-airlines-reports-first-quarter-2024-results
ryw likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:22 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Disappointing, I appreciated being able to fly them out IAH.

Dropping both CZM and BLI is interesting to me. CZM is an international vacation destination that they apparently can’t make work and BLI was supposed to be a back door way of serving Vancouver and that also wasn’t viable. MEX was already dropped a few years ago… Just makes me question what new domestic and international destinations are actually viable for them at this point.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Just delivery the 737-MAX7 already! Enough of delays delivery!
joshua362 and JPat like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by N830MH
Just delivery the 737-MAX7 already! Enough of delays delivery!
It’s caught up in red tape and safety theatre by the FAA unfortunately. It’s missing a de-ice safety sensor that the FAA is saying is now required for certification yet the Max-8 and -9 got waivers to fly without them as they do today.
N830MH likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:03 pm

IAH was a game-changer for us and the flights always seemed full. I wonder if they will bring it back.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:13 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by LegalTender
New flights to DEN begin/end quickly.
The ineptitude of Southwest executive management with regards to risk management of the all-Boeing strategy reaches new lows. They had no idea how much trouble they were in as late as mid Feb 2024 and probably at least a few weeks after that.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:26 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by dmbolp
What cities will they pull out of next? I want to make some speculative bookings!
I'm looking at ORD for the next complete pullout at a big airport.

Other Candidates: SBA, FAT, PSP, LIH, KOA, ITO (I've flown into none of these but have flown into other nearby airports)
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I’m still surprised IAD manages to soldier on. It made some sense when it was first added before their entry into DCA but now it seems like a station they don’t really want to serve but don’t want to cut either. Also I know it’s one of their legacy Texas stations but CRP is almost always close to last for loads.
jjbiv likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.